Wednesday, June 1, 2011

First Impressions of a Mental Unit

I wrote in a notebook for the time I was on the unit. Because I was there for less than 24 hours, these are only my observations and the names have been changed. None of the following should be considered factual or used to determine anything about others.

5.31.11
Met a few people today... thought they would be crazier. No one who comes across as batshit nuts just yet. Talked to the doctor and have a good feeling that I will be released either today or tomorrow.
My immediate neighbor is Mikel, a 22 year old male who has suicidal thoughts and alcoholism. A burly guy, who at first, scared me considerably. Spent the morning talking with him. He's from a few towns over and several towns north. He worked in the medical field prior to being let go for coming to work hung over. 
Across the hall is Phillip, a man of retirement age who has had suicidal thoughts as well. If you ask him how he is, he will tell you that he is nervous. This reads on his face, as well as in his general demeanor. He talks to himself during group therapy.
Ben is down the hall and is here not because he wants to hurt himself, rather he wants to hurt his wife. From what I gather they are going through some tough times with living together and despite having been married for over a decade, she is still not a US Citizen, nor does she have a greencard. 
Ken is a male of 22, who frequently talks about smoking crack and joining Al Qaeda.
Karl is a male of 30 who is diagnosed BiPolar 1. He is being released after only being in for two days. His hygiene is deplorable, and he is a fucked up guy with a lot of issues. If he can get out of here that quickly, there is definitely hope for me. 
Daphne is here because she is severely depressed. Like me, she checked herself in, unlike me, she drove herself here. She has nowhere else to go when she is out and will return to the local Women's shelter. She injured her back and had surgery on it. She walks with a cane and likes angel food cake with vanilla ice cream and tapioca pudding. She has a siamese cat and three sons. She is the most normal of all the people on this unit.

  As I observed on the unit while I was in, I took detailed notes. I will be transcribing them into this blog as I continue my search for treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment